Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's a Guy To Do?

Have you ever had one of those weeks when things look optimistic on Monday morning and it seems you've adequate time to accomplish everything on your list only to find yourself screaming "slow down I'm not going to make it!" come Wednesday? I'm in one of those weeks, again. I just don't understand where the time goes and why it has to take so much longer to do what, at the time, seemed so simple. There's always these interruptions, or what my friend Kathy Frady would probably call Delay Delights, that keep popping up throughout the day. A last minute meeting here, an impromptu meeting there, lanes closed on the interstate, a flood of phone calls, emails piling up, high priority requests from state or national leaders, and volunteers, volunteers, volunteers flow over me like tidal surge rushing into a low lying area turning my blue Monday sky into a watery dome from which I must emerge to get air. You see, I like to get things done and I like to have them done well and on time. However, real life doesn't operate on my schedule. I imagine that it doesn't operate on yours either. It's times like these that I've learned that, in a little while, the curtain is going to draw back and all the work God has been doing behind the scenes is going to come into the light. My struggle, including my lament, has just been an aside a few lines before God takes center stage and brings the act to a close in dramatic fashion. It's the moment I've been waiting for. The moment when you lean over to your friend and whisper, "this is my favorite part." With the least effort, God preforms His part and then the curtain closes to my thunderous applause.

No comments: