Monday, April 21, 2008

Missions Starts at Home

This past Sunday, I participated in an On Mission Celebration on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain. I had the opportunity to speak in four churches in and around Kentwood, LA. I do these things in order to keep people aware of the needs in the New Orleans area. Most importantly, I try to replace news of government failure, corruption, crime, murders, and drugs with news about the amazing things God is doing in the hearts and lives of the Crescent City. I end every presentation with a plea to come and serve Christ on mission in New Orleans. However, this time, I did things a little different. I've had something on my mind for quite some time now and I thought I would go ahead and include it in my presentation. After I made my plea to come and serve in New Orleans, I said something along these lines, "As much as I would like to see you serving with us in New Orleans, I pray that you will not neglect the rest of the Great Commission. Please don't turn missions into an endeavor where you repeatedly drive past your lost neighbors en route to an exciting mission destination." I believe this is part of the reason why I've seen a decline in the quality of volunteers over the years. Missions has become a place we go instead of something we do. Churches decide to get their feet wet in missions by going somewhere interesting. Entire groups go completely unfamiliar with what it means to be on mission and when they're asked to do the work of a missionary they become uncomfortable and sometimes uncooperative. We do this on a local level as well. We drive across town to serve in a ministry center but we won't take the time to walk across the street or engage the community sitting in the shadow of our church. Our first responsibility in missions is our Jerusalem. If we would take the time to reach out to our communities with the love of Christ first, then, I believe, we would see and increase in interest in going to places of interest and ministry centers and we would go better equipped to reach the lost. The army doesn't train its troops on the front lines; they send them first to boot camp. Why should the Army of God be any different? Let missions start at home and then branch out into the utter most parts. We will be better prepared, in greater numbers, and will have a more significant impact on the world for Christ. Missions starts at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.