Friday, October 12, 2007

Baptist Frontier Land

I just finished a week speaking at churches in the Bay Lakes Association in Wisconsin. This was my first time in Wisconsin and my first time to personally experience what its like to serve in a part of the country where evangelical Christianity is the minority. No Bible Belt up there. It was an eye opening experience that has helped reshape my view of ministry in a positive way. Being removed from the Baptist culture we experience here in the South is not necessarily a bad thing. The work is more difficult, but that type of trial blazing excites me. I only spoke in one church building the entire week I was there. Most churches were less than ten years old and met in storefronts, hotels, and even a converted pallet factory. Although the area has few churches, spread out over a large area, I still met several people who had answered God's call to participate in the rebuilding of New Orleans. In fact, I was greeted by and Operation NOAH Rebuild T-shirt as I entered the building of my very first event upon arriving in Wisconsin.

No comments: