Thursday, August 28, 2008

Do We Have to Give Them Names?

The practice of officially naming Atlantic storms began in 1950. Most named storms have been forgettable while only a handful live in infamy. Betsy, Camille, Hugo, Andrew, Ivan, and the twisted sisters Katrina, Rita, and Wilma top the list. After the devastation of Katrina almost three years ago, someone decided to investigate the meaning of that particular name. I was surprised to learn that the name Katrina means "cleansing." We in the evangelical community jumped at this. We said things like, "God used Katrina to cleanse New Orleans" and "New Orleans has been given a second chance because of the cleansing from Katrina." I'm not saying that we were blowing smoke. We meant what we said and still do. The name thing was just convenient. Maybe it was too convenient. This morning I looked up the name Gustav to see if any secret spiritual meaning waited to be discovered. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Gustav - staff of the gods. Crap. Don't expect this one to come up in any future sermons in the New Orleans area. I'm sure, however, some extremist preacher who hates lost people will pick it up and run with it. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that God is sending Gustav to finish us off. In fact, I don't know why God is sending Gustav and furthermore I don't even know where this storm is going to end up. What I do know is that the same God who is sovereign over the weather is powerful enough to set us back on our feet. I know this because it is fundamentally taught in scripture and I've experienced it first hand. With that being said, when I ask you to pray for this situation, remember Who is it you're praying to. Don't insult God by asking Him to do less than what He's capable. Pray big to our big God.

No comments: