Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Praying for Pastors

About a week ago, Jaime and I received a booklet at church produced by NAMB that guides you in praying for your pastor for 40 days. We took it and did like most people and put it in the designated pile of "things we intend to get to" that, for us, resides in our kitchen. It sat there for a week with the fast food coupons, catalogs and sales papers until Jaime and I straightened up the house. At that point the booklet made its way to my bedside table which is where I noticed it this morning as I sat on the edge of the bed trying to enter the world of the living. Because I like to start my day focused on Christ (I usually say a brief prayer or quote a verse) I decided to pick up the booklet and start with Day 1. As I prayed for our pastor, I began to wonder things about him. You see, we currently don't have a pastor and this exercise is designed to strengthen the one God sends. I wondered things like his age, background, experience, attitude toward missions and so on. I wondered if he was married and had children and were they young, teenagers or all grown up. I wondered if he would take well to the unique New Orleans culture or be a bit resistant. I suppose that's part of the reason I ought to be praying for this fellow. But there's one other thing that ran through my mind this morning; we're not the only church in the metro area praying for a pastor we've never met. Since Katrina, more pastors have left the area than have come, leaving many of our churches without a shepherd to teach and guide them. As a missionary that works with our association, praying for pastors both here and yet to arrive has been an important part of my prayer life. In truth, I should spend more time praying for these men and I invite you to join me in that prayer. Our churches need God called, Spirit led, Christ focused leaders to wet their apatite for Scripture and to turn their eyes and hearts beyond the front doors and into the community and all the world.

No comments: