Monday, February 18, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Volunteers, Oh My!


This is the time of year when my job does a major flip-flop. I go from being David Rhymes - Evangelism Strategist, to David Rhymes - Professional Volunteer Wrangler. Yes, from now until about mid-August, I will eat, drink, breath, and sleep volunteers. I'm not sure whether to ask you to pray for me or just put me out of my misery. Wait a minute. I though volunteers were a great and valuable resource? They are. I love volunteers and have worked with them for about twelve years now. But anyone who has worked extensively with volunteers knows it has its ups and downs. Because of Katrina, the number of volunteers in the New Orleans area has grown exponentially. Between now and the end of the summer, Southern Baptist will put an estimated 15,000 volunteers in the field in the New Orleans area. And we need each one of them. The tricky part comes in the logistical nightmare that these numbers create. Praise God for His all sufficient grace and strength! It never fails that when I've exhausted every option I can imagine to place volunteers in the field, God shows up and fills in the gaps. Those last minute mega groups that call and tell me they're arriving next week, God's got me covered even if His help comes in the midnight hour. Yes, it’s an all volunteer diet for me for the next several months. However, when it’s all said and done, the work God has accomplished through the countless faces that pass through our neighborhoods is beautiful to behold.

No comments: