Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hurry Up And Wait

If you enjoy waiting, raise your hand. That's what I thought. As for the rest of us, we'd rather get in a fist fight than sit around and wait because at least there is a foreseeable outcome. Those of us who are back in the city have had to become accustom to the waiting game. It's an unavoidable fact of life. We wait on the mail. Just the other day Jaime and I got a Christmas card from her dad and step-mom, three weeks after the fact. What made it funny was the phrase "Don't open till Christmas" written to the side of our address. Like we could wait 11 more months to open the crazy thing. We wait in line. That's nothing new but you should see these lines. Get to your favorite restaurant early and you might only have to wait an hour for a table. We wait in traffic. Do we ever wait in traffic! Two and a half to three hour commutes are still the norm. We wait for repairs and improvements on our homes. Supplies are in high demand and contractors are spread thin. We have a crew that's entering their third week of laying floors in our new house. We wait on the government. We wait on FEMA. We wait on the mayor and city council to get on with it. We wait, wait, wait. All this waiting can give me a headache. I'd take an aspirin but I'd have to wait in line at the store to buy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - This is going to sound goofy - but I stumbled across your blog while searching for a friend's site. I typed in my name for fun to see what came up, and was surprised that you and I share the same name. I am originally from Monticello, Mississippi, and part of that Rhymes clan there. Are you from Louisiana originally? I know that there are Rhymes there that we are distantly related to.
Anyhow - I wanted to thank you for your blog site. It is great to know that I share the same name with a guy so active in the Lord's work. I am humbled that you work with the homeless, and in N.O. no doubt! My wife and I will keep you in our prayers for safety, direction, and continuing Mercy and Grace.

Blessings,

David Rhymes (of Oklahoma City, OK)
david.rhymes@sbcglobal.net